Thursday 1 April 2010

Rejection for RC

Thursday 1:00 p.m.
My conciglieri forwarded this rejection from Little Brown:

"Following up on R.C. Short version: I’m going to pass. Longer version: I do (sic) so fully aware that you’ve got a very talented author on your hands. The writing is crisp and clean, the dialogue distinctively edgy, and the plot very smoothly engineered. That said, I wasn’t especially taken with the protagonist, who seemed to me rather difficult to like, and I worry that some of the book’s more serrated edges would rub a broad readership the wrong way.

While I’m going to pass, I wish you much luck with the project, and I can’t wait to see where Hotboy lands. Thanks again very much for letting me take a look."

I guess slipping in the gratuitous sado masochistic sex scenes might have worked against me there after all.

Well, Hotboy has landed in the lonely financial zone once again! Thank God I get a free bus pass next year!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

"I wasn’t especially taken with the protagonist"

May I suggest that your next book has moi as the protagonist? Who couldn't be taken with moi? Handsome, romantic, good-natured, excellent opening bat - what more could you want for a hero figure?

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I think you're onto something here. I imagine you may be a bit portly, but that's good for the blue rinse mob who might want to buy such a book with such a dashing hero. A Don Quixote of the Bongo Bongo always playing with a straight bat! Got something! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

I think that "Menzies Milngavie III: The Don Quixote of the Bongo Bongo" would be an excellent title for a bestseller.

MM III

Anonymous said...

I say!

I think you may have Rosacea, the 'curse of the Celts'.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! It would add sympathy to the character if he had several facial deformities like a giant overbite and plukes aplenty from the insects burrowing under his skin. Tally Ho! Get the pesky crocs off the pitch! and such like peculiarities. Hotboy

rob said...

The plukes aplenty from the insects burrowing under the skin has already neen done. Just rewrite the sadomasochistic sex as a gay scene, and you'll win over the gay and feminist readership. When you clean up, remember who helped you.