Wednesday 21 July 2010

Bliss diary!

Wednesday 11:30 a.m.
The first meditation of the day was just finished five minutes ago. It lasted for an hour and fifty five minutes. Usually, I get quite sore after about an hour and twenty minutes, so I don't know what was going on there!

I was trying to get back to basics and was using Susquehanna and nothing else until the very end when I did a wee bit of visualisation. But no channels, no symbols.

In the hinayana, there are the four noble truths, the eightfold path, the skandas and dependant origination. All that is perfectly rational. There are no fairies, nymphs, or even leprechauns! The problem is the consciousness of an existent self and what you are looking for is ways and means of getting rid of that surely. How do you skin the cat?

Since there is nothing to be achieved and no one to achieve it, I think I'll stick with the calming meditations for now and throw in a bit of the analyticals; the negating of the self in oneself and negating the self in the object kind of thing. I'll also do a bit of the Medicine Buddha, but avoid the channels and symbols for now, and only do the vase breathing when the meditations feel stale.

It is apparent that I will not be able to avoid the shedloads of bliss when I'm meditating, but I'm not going to chase the heat. If you're are fortunate enough to get some advice on your meditations from Lama Yeshe, you'd be very stupid to ignore it.

Was I going to crash and burn, Jack? I think you were, Hotboy! Time to try and rest in the serenity, tranquillity, contentment!

2 comments:

Marie Rex said...

I think you are on a good path with the quieter meditations.

I expect once you get to the point you aren't mad at flatheids any more you'll be more ready to try other things.

I've been doing a lot more calming stuff lately dealing with a difficult neighbor. I'm looking at him as a unhappy small child who needs compassion. If I can fix that in my head it will be better for me than just thinking of him as a knob. It is gonna take a lot of work.

Be nice if the learning curve weren't so darn steep at times.

Hotboy said...

Marie! You're right about the learning curve! The trouble with flatheids is that I'm really one myself!! Thank God I don't have any bother at my work anymore. Trouble with other people (like bosses!) really brings out the afflictive emotions in me!! Hope you have a sunny day up there, one that doesn't bring out the happy campers! Hotboy