Sunday 16 May 2010

An inspiration so he was!

Sunday 6:00 p.m.
The cherry blossom is past its best, petals strewn over the pavements as I jogged along Ravelstone Dykes Road on my way to the mother of all hills, the Clermiston Road, down in Costorphine. On the way home, back down Ravelstone Dykes again, I was joined by another runner. In all the years ... this has never happened before.

He was called Keith Hughes, an Aussie from Perth. He was out for a recovery run after running an ultramarathon yesterday. That's 55 miles. In a couple of weeks he'll be running the West Highland Way, which is a run of 95 miles. It takes about twenty four hours.

A lot of folk might exclaim: 95 miles!? I don't believe that!! Amazing what you can get your body to do, Jack, so it is.

I think he said he was fifty years old.

I was out jogging for about one hour forty minutes, a mere bagatelle!

4 comments:

Victorian Albert said...

Those Aussies will talk to anyone. The fit ones, unlike me, are capable of amazing endurance. The womenfolk too, seem able to endure Aussie men.

Hotboy said...

Albert? You're doing well at your age to still be able to climb into your kip! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

We had one of those long distance runners down past the sideroad here in Kalimbuka the other week. Running from Cairo to Cape Town (not non-stop, of course). They're fit as a fiddle - not an ounce of fat.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! This boy looked quite normal. He wasn't skin and bone anyway. Also, he said he only ran 30 miles most weeks! What? Hotboy