Sunday 2 May 2010

Hut repairs!!







Sunday 5:44 p.m.
They actually had an eight foot by four foot bit of plywood in Homebase, so I bought that and some nails, and carried it to the allotment on my head and shoulders.

I don't fix things, Jack. I don't do things with things. When I was a kid, I heard the cursing and swearing coming from the older males in my family as they repaired a fuse up there at the dark end of the lobby. Sitting with my maw and the other wee ones round a candle in the living room seemed a much better situation to be in. I think that was then I decided never to learn to do anything useful like fixing fuses, or taps, or painting and decorating, or anything like that. Some folk actually seem to enjoy that kind of thing. I would have liked to give some of these kinds of people the enjoyment of fixing my hut, but no one was in the slightest bit interested. Basturns. The Domestic Bliss said she had a hammer. I did not know that. It would have been nice if she'd offered to use it on the hut, but at least she let me borrow it.

I don't think the rats will be able to eat me up during the night now if I decide to hide up there for a bit this summer. Hurrah!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did my comment go?

Rodz

Anonymous said...

Sorry! I found my comment on your previous post.

Rodz

Marie Rex said...

Well done on fixing your hut.

I think everyone should know the basics of things. Even if they don't want to do them.

My husband took my hammer away from me, because I hurt myself with it.

Just means when I want something fixed, he has to do it.

rob said...

Here's the title for your next self-help book: Be Your Own Hut Manager.

Hotboy said...

Marie! Nobody takes the hammer off you if you're a man. They just watch as you hurt yourself some more!
Albert? You're not supposed to have a self you can help in this bloggy!
Rodz: Who are you? Are you another flatheid?
Hotboy

albert said...

Congratulations on doing something!

PS Rats can only gnaw through brick, plaster, skirting boards and cable, in fact anything but plywood.

Anonymous said...

Your hut looks as though it may be beyond repair.

Rodz

Hotboy said...

Anon! My hut has been repaired!! And without any bloody help either! Hotboy

Hotboy said...

Albert? I have cunning plan to dissuade them. Peppermint oil. Never fails. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

If you apply for listed building status for your hut, you could get a grant to do it up.

Rodz

Hotboy said...

Rodz? Just wait. Yon hut will be worth its weight in rats before you know it! Hotboy