Tuesday 11 May 2010

Ignorance and knowledge.

Tuesday Lunchtime
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
Donald Rumsfeld

I have no idea what was going on at Zeitoun in Cairo with the apparition floating about the place. I have no idea what's happening with the buddha boy or with Prahlad Jani. What I don't like is closed minds and arrogant assertions.

So one time it seemed that the cosmos was moving round the earth. When certain facts started to contradict this hypothesis, we changed the hypothesis. Then everything seemed to go round the sun. When certain other facts started to emerge ...

I believe in scepticism. I know what this computer is called and I know what it does sort of, but I don't know everything about the computer. I have a partial view based on not enough information. I do not have full knowledge. People will tell you it's mostly made of space, but it doesn't look like that.

Full knowledge in Christianity is confined to God. Only God has full knowledge. I have heard that Buddhists think the buddha had full knowledge. I don't even know what that can mean. How can you imagine simultaneously knowing everthing?

Some assertions are obviously not true. The world does not rest on top of an elephant. But when Prahlad Jani is sitting in a box for ten days or so and not eating and drinking, what is the point of saying: I don't believe that. This is just like having a conversation with Galileo and denying the evidence that the earth goes round the sun. It's stupid. It's arrogant and it's stupid. When information starts to contradict what you think you know, you have to change what you think you know. Or, at least admit that you don't know as much as you thought you knew.

I makes more sense to me to emphasis how little you know and not make stupid assertions about the extent of your knowledge. Also, if you really get into scepticism, the world opens up a little as being a bit more miraculous, or at least more interesting.

I like to try and remember that Plato thing about the boys in the cave and all they ever see is the wall in front of them, and they think that's everything there is.

We embrace our ignorance
We don't believe in any things
Especially thoughts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

Does your friend Donald Rumsfeld know who is going to win the cricket World Twenty20? That would help.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Donald would know that that was a unknown knowing itself to become known when the knower sees the result on the telly due to not knowing which channels to avoid. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

That's very clear now.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Always like to help, Mingin'! Hotboy

rob said...

Me, I'm sceptical about scepticism.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I don't care what you do down at the docks. And everyone is sceptical about scepticism. It's what Bertrand Russell advised. Hotboy