Thursday 13 May 2010

Buddhas and Charlatans!




Thursday 10:20 a.m.
"When we can see, straightforwardly and non-conceptually, the nature of our clear light mind and can remain absorbed in this nature without having to regress from it, we have become a buddha." Dalai Lama. The wall.

What about flying about the place, Hotboy? Aye, and what about being able to emanate as a 100,000 different joes at the one time? Well, I think the buddha might have told his highly realised followers to stop flying about the place and showing off and whatnot because that's not what buddhism is about really. Siddhis are maybe just things you get to impress the schoolgirls, I mean, flatheids.

"Tell me, Subhuti. Does a Buddha say to himself, 'I have obtained Perfect Enlightenment.'?"

"No, lord. There is no such thing as Perfect Enlightenment to obtain. If a Perfectly Enlightened Buddha were to say to himself, 'I am enlightened' he would be admitting there is an individual person, a separate self and personality, and would therefore not be a Perfectly Enlightened Buddha." Diamond Sutra.

What if some Perfectly Enlightened Buddha were to say this to some other folk, Jack? Not to himself, but to other folk? And what if he ran about in a Rolls Royce and had flunkeys fanning him and kissing his backside? Well, Hotboy, I think these flunkeys and flatheids should ask for at least a bit of flying about and even better tricks than that, or else they are very stupid people indeed.

Part of the rationale for writing this bloggie is to warn folk away from charlatans. You don't have to be good or even nice to progress in this juju. You have to be a bit more determined than I am, that's all.

The Dalai Lama doesn't say he's enlightened. My root guru doesn't say he's enlightened. Thrangu Rinpoche, who is at least ten times smarter than moi, denies he's a proper tulku. He says the 16th Karmapa picked him because some other proper tulku had gone beyond being able to come back. I don't think perfectly enlightened beings can come back.

This is not to say that charlatans cannot do some good. Maybe a lot of flatheids have such inadequate personalities that they want fuhrers to follow, and taking the piss out of them might actually do them some good. They might at least practise meditation because of their deluded view of you.

I'm writing this post because I'm going to post some vase breathing intructions from Sheng-yen Lu, who probably isn't all he claims to be, but probably isn't a complete asshole either.

Something caught me eye in this piece. Prahlad Jani says there is a nectar coming from the roof of his mouth that sustains him. In a question and answer session I was at with Ringu Tulku, he said a white substance was produced by inner heat meditations. (I thought: What is he talking about?!)Anyway, Sheng-yen Lu mentions it in the next post as nectar or heavenly court water as the Taoists call it.

The Princes Street photies were taken at the bus stop earlier this week. I couldn't sleep last night and took the dawn photie out of the back window at 4 a.m. this morning. I did sleep for three and a half hours later.

2 comments:

rob said...

Photie 1 is actually rather special. It makes Embra castle look like Lhasa or one of those blissheid mountain monasteries.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Bugger all to do with me! I just point the telephone at the view. Hotboy