Thursday 10 June 2010

World Cup

Thursday 10:05 p.m.
You are supposed to treat everyone the same. I think it's called equanimity. I tried to support the Rangers in their bid to win a European trophy a couple of years ago. I managed until the final when I saw the huns flood into Manchester with the Union Jacks streaming out of their motors, and hoped there were plenty of riot police waiting for them. Unfortunately, not enough as it turned out.

Flicking through the channels after getting back from the allotment this evening, what did I find on BBC Four but the Bobby Moore Story. Fung sake! I told my line manager, who is a very, very nice man from Chester, that I would try to support the Little Englanders until the semi-finals, that I was friendly with a lot of English people, and that they should have won it more than once. Dearie me. It's the fact that the "British" media keep harking back to 1966 that sticks in everyone's craw up here.

1966 was only twenty one years after the end of the Second World War. I do remember sitting on my da's knee and asking him what he did in the war. But since about 1975 the Second World War has always seemed like science fiction to me. Also, it's in black and white, mostly. Why would anyone want to kill all the jews? While fighting a war against almost everybody as well. I do find it hard to get my head round that.

So, according to the Bobby Moore Story, the Russian referee who walked over to the Turkish linesman, with whom he couldn't converse, to discuss whether or not the ball had gone over the line for the third English goal had had between thirty and forty members of his family killed by the Germans in the Second World War. The English player who had the best view said the ball didn't go over the line. With a referee like that ... I remember being really happy when the Gerries equalised with almost the last kick of the ball in the regulation ninety minutes. It should have gone straight to a penalty shoot out.

I think every time the World Cup comes round, in Scotland we should get to see the WHOLE game when Scotland drubbed them, took the piss, rubbed their noses in it, etc., because all we get is the 1966 stuff and not the game which made us all so happy in 1967.

So maybe it's time the Little Englanders won it again so we don't have to keep looking at this 1966 crap. Also, they've got an Italian manager. He'll have paid the referee.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

No such issues with cricket! I believe that if you look out of your kitchen window next Saturday, you will see England beat Scotland at the great game.

MM III

rob said...

If you hadn't killed off the economic history brain cells you'd remember it wasn't all about the Jews. But good for you compensating with social psychology, I must have used my Soc Psych lecture notes as skins. It all balances up.

rob said...

Re the Italian manager - LOL.

While on night watch duty here, I saw the draw with America. All I can say is if the audio guys don't start filtering out the horns, I won't be watching again. I could hardly make out the commentator, Martin Tyler, a Brit now retired I think from UK media. Did you ever hear him? Pure class.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I tried to watch the game after leching after this American and telling her I'd like the USA to win, but they should have won. They were all called Irish names like Donovan, Bradley, Dempsey, but I still tried to support the sassanaches, but they were complete crap. Diego with the nose .. I want the Argentinians to win. Can you imagine the Englanders ever giving him the jobbie after the wonderful Charlie episode when he scored the goal and run over to the camera and then was expelled for being out of his head when he did it? Diego! Diego! The Englanders are so evil bourgeois! The fung are! Alf Ramsey spoke like a twat because he got elecution lessons. Do you remember them? The faggot lisp? Def, dight, def, dight ... dearie me! Class war is too good for them! Hotboy

Hotboy said...

Albert? Okay, we'll filter out the horns. We'll get rid of the biased commentary. We'll tell ourselves that it doesn't really matter .. we are the smart folk on this island, but ... but me no buts .. why do we have to put up with this shite, or else do what you do and go away and hide in the land of the half naked women and the too hot heat, and the stupid people having taken over everywhere, and the morons, and the dregs and the sump ... I think armed response should be enough for anyone. This is my manifesto. Can i like get your vote? Hotboy p.s.Otherwise pass this on!

rob said...

My wall tells me the shite isn't in them, the shite is in everything and everyone. The secret is non-striving or something. You could try meditation.

Some of my clients would vote for you. Circulating your manifesto would break my cover, though.

PS I wasn't being sarcastic re Martin Tyler, he's a genius.

PPS Send photies of your American sports correspondent.

PPPS "want the Argentinians to win" would have got you a hiding back in, 1981 was it?