Saturday 12 June 2010

Forever Young

Saturday 6:35 p.m.
Most of my friends are folk I've known since way before I sold any of my wonderful writings. Well, there's only about three or four of them! The only time I ever hung about with writers was in the early 1990s when I first met the sensei and reverend. I was already forty by then and they guys were much younger.

An actor (and writer!) I knew called Lance Flynn told me the sensei wanted to meet me. Anyway, I went down to the Antiquary in St Stephen's Street to this poetry evening the sensei used to organise. He was pointed out to me. Nosferatu with a skinhead and teeshirt bearing the legend in bold white letters against black: DIE YUPPIE SCUM! After that I saw quite a bit of the sensei, and he used to ask me to go along with him to readings, launches, etc. Kevin Williamson was organising brilliant events with readings and all that at this time.

When I was at these things with the sensei, I sometimes met Paul Reekie. Paul was a very personable, likeable guy. I remember him doing a reading at one of these Rebel Inc events about going to a peculiar kind of party. Very funny.

I haven't seen the kiddo for nine weeks, the longest time since she was born. She's been in the Fatherland checking out glass studios. When I was her age, with a few friends I went in a caravanette to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Luxembourg, France, Italy, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Spain, France again and back to Blighty. A song we always had on the tape deck was Forever Young by the inimitable Bob.

When I got back to Bellshill after about five months, the auld maw ran up and down the lobby in delight. She wasn't allowed to go to Glasgow when she was young in case the Chinese took her away for the white slave trade. I will be pleased to see the kiddo when she gets back tonight.

The Domestic Bliss was watching a Sons Of Anarchy DVD last night. It had Forever Young as part of the sound track. I stopped hanging about with writers after the sensei funged off to America, but I did bump into Paul Reekie once or twice, here and there, as you do, but I really remember him from those Rebel Inc things. The sensei let me know that he'd committed suicide last week. I wish folk wouldn't do that! He was a one off, great guy!

May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0gUgTrYja8&NR=1

4 comments:

Marie Rex said...

I am sorry that your friend chose to end his own life. That troubles me. I believe that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. It is hard to see a life wasted.

Glad your kiddo is coming back.

Hotboy said...

Marie! You're right about the permanent solution to a temporary problem. Things change. I haven't got much of a problem is someone has the black spot and life is going to become gruesome, but otherwise ... Hotboy p.s. Kiddo was off on her travels again this morning!

Anonymous said...

Nae wunner the auld maw's lived say lang by the way. Runnin aboot eftir youse kept ur fit so it did.

Hotboy said...

Anon! You might be right! Hotboy