Monday 30 November 2009

Full Circle!



Monday
The buses have started running down Princes Street again now that they've got a tramline down. Hurrah! I took the photies of the skyline from beside the bus stop this morning just before eight.

I've just sent my new novel off to the secret agent as an email. I started off blogging on February 2005 as a way of keeping track of my attempt to find a literary agent for a book which I hadn't actually finished at the time. That was four years and ten months ago. After a year and ten months, and about 350 emails later, I did find an agent, a man of great taste and perspicacity, just as I finished the book.

He really tried hard, but couldn't sell it. Then he tried with a kidsbook and sent it to at least one publisher that I know of, Puffin. You can't connect with them at all unless you have an agent. No dice again. Then last September he started trying to sell the McCoy book.

I haven't heard from his office since March. They did try hard with that book though, trying to hustle it at the Franfort and London book fairs. But the last three emails I sent to his office, including two last week about the new book, have not been acknowledged.

Is someone trying to tell us something, Jack? Well, Hotboy, if they don't acknowledge the email which has the new book attached, I think you might be back to square one. This would be somewhat ironic because the new book is in a recognisable genre, has proper chapters and isn't about folk living in caves! I'm never going to love it the way I loved the McCoy book, but it is passable.

I could start another blog!! Trying to keep track of trying to find a literary agent!

And over the time since I started blogging my meditations has just got more and more wonderful. The too dumb to meditate are still too dumb to meditate, but that's not my fault, Jack. Certainly not!

9:55 p.m.
Got this email from the secret agent tonight.

Hotboy - it sounds fantastic.
I shall read this week - might be a great book to kick off the new year with
X

James Bond

6 comments:

rob said...

Congratulations on getting a reply.

As a kid I blew my pocket money on a good chunk of the Puffin catalogue. How did invest your allowance?

Hotboy said...

Albert? Only the progeny of the evil bourgeois had pocket money when I were a lad. All the family wealth went on the tarpaulin to keep out the cold in the wintertime. Hotboy

Marie Rex said...

I'm jealous you have so much daylight so early.

Good luck with the secret agent. I just put my book on the shelf with the other 6 and a half. Now I can get on with Panto costumes.

Hotboy said...

Marie! The sun is splitting the trees here in the tropics! I'll have to get out my panama hat! Hotboy p.s. You should do something with those books, like re-writing them. That's what I do!

Marie Rex said...

Doing something with the books implies that I either care about writing or actually would have a clue how to do a rewrite.

To be honest, for me this is just an interesting challenge. I don't know if there is a story worth putting any effort into.

So far I have no one interested in actually trying to read them.

Besides I have no clue how to rewrite. I slept through my school English classes.

Hotboy said...

Marie! This makes the whole process seem even weirder to me! Amazing that there are groups of you doing this! Hotboy