Tuesday 10 February 2009

On Becoming a (financial) Failure!

Tuesday 10:10 p.m.
We have to live with the consequences of decisions we make in this life. Pondering such things while looking at someone's blog this evening.

I could retire in two years so I must be old. I checked out what kind of pension I'd get. £1300 a year or thereabouts. Anyway, I couldn't give up the jobbie with just that. I was hoping against hope (as usual) that getting a literary agent might take me closer to making some money, but that's three books he's tried to sell in the last two and a half years and, through no fault at all of his, the money has not been landed on. I've given up hoping.

In the course of a few years from my middle thirties here are some of the things I did to advance my so called literary career.

1) Told the boy who was running Fontana (who'd published a book of mine) that I couldn't write a novel every eighteen months because I had a baby to look after.
2) Knocked back the chance to write the Archers.
3) Knocked back the offer to go to Manchester to write plays for this director I knew who was given a artistic director's job there.
4) Showed up drunk for a meeting with the boy running probably the biggest agency for playwrights in London. (Fung him. Kept me waiting in the pub for over two hours while he was making his future work elsewhere.)
5) Walked away from the BBC radio people at the first sign of any hassle at all, which really upset them though that was unintentional.
6) Told the boy interviewing me on Radio Scotland that I was a werewolf because I thought: Fung it! I'm not doing this shit.

On the other hand, I have a great many warm and happy memories of looking after my daughter and looking after my daughter instead of making money probably helped me put meditation at the centre of my life, and not writing.

Realising non-self and emptiness is the only thing worth doing in this life.

Would you not have liked to be remembered as a rich and famous writer, Hotboy? Jack, five thousand years from now they won't even remember Jesus Christ. And nobody read the books I wrote anyway.

The game plan has to be not wanting the things you could buy with the money.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

For whatever reason you chose to be a good father to your daughter. I don't believe you could have made a better choice.

Money won't fix things in your life. It can give you the means to cover it up. But it is still cat poop in a flower bed, no matter how you cover it.

Decide what you want and be happy with the choice. You can reach bliss as long as you have a place to sit. The world is full of places to sit.

The things we actually need in this world belong on a much smaller list than the things we want. Perhaps you need to make sure the list you are using is the right one.

Anonymous said...

heyh otboy!not true....i read the cyclists ina o ner inv iewparka tc hristmas....andl oved it!

loveandpeacexxx

Hotboy said...

Marie: You're dead right of course! There are a lot of folk having a horrible time in this life right now and I'm not one of them. Hotboy
Spango Yogini: I'm glad you liked the book about cycling. God knows where you got it from. The title of the post can be taken as irony. Everyone could do with more money. If you've got enough ... as they say!

Anonymous said...

I say!

What a marketing ploy! Pretending to be a werewolf. Did it work?

I think you should recalculate your pension. It must be worth more than that. They often give retirees a lump sum as well.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! I think it said it was an 80th of your final salary. Anyway, even I can't live on £30 a week! However, I could offer myself as a nightwatchman in the Bongo Bongo. I'm sure £30 a week is a fortune there. Hotboy

rob said...

I say! There's a psycho guy about here aiming to help me attain non-selfhood.

rob said...

I say! There's a psycho guy about here aiming to help me attain non-selfhood.

rob said...

How can your pension be as bad as mine? Surely you've worked more years than me? Otherwise I lose the one non-competitive edge I thought I had over you.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Nobody's worked less than me! It's hardly possible to have worked at all and worked less than me surely! Hotboy p.s. You'll just have to rely on the nazi gold then!

Anonymous said...

chicoca liente
igo ti t from amazon for 50p! the guy sent it to our maggie´s, having refused top ost it to spain. one day it will be a signed copy and sell for loads of callym
adosh on ebay.mind there wasn´tr eally that much cycling...itw as surprisingly hotin spotsh otboy!loveandpeacexxx

Hotboy said...

Spango Yogini: I should really buy all those copies and take them out of circulation, but I think 50p is probably a bit steep. Hotboy p.s. I'm sure cycling gets a mention!

Hotboy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hotboy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hotboy said...

Albert? Is that you? Still? You have to stop it! Stop putting beer in the beer. It'll help. HOtboy.

rob said...

Sorry about the misprint. That comment should of course have read: "Otherwise you lose the one non-competitive edge I thought you had over me."

Hotboy said...

Albert? Naw! I was the comments showing up in triplicate! It's the bloggy going bananas, I think. Hotboy