Tuesday 15 December 2009

Tuesday Bliss Diary



Tuesday 2:22 p.m.
I've really been quite happy today!

For nearly thirty years, whenever I've been on buses, I've put my knees up on the seat in front. For the last twenty odd years, I've usually meditated like that or read a book or whatever. Just recently, due to developments with the bliss, I've started sitting with my back straight and my feet on the floor. Meditating this morning on the bus, the mid-brain chakra seemed to open into some wonderful bliss. Never quite happened like that on the bus before.

The day I walked off the jobbie (about five and a half years ago now), I had a beautiful sensation on the bus of bliss inside and outside me. That made me feel totally confident and I don't think I would have walked off the jobbie without that happening. When I happened I thought: Nothing bad can happen to me today.

It was different, but not as strong as the sensation today, which was however more localised and specific almost.

The photie of the tree in front of the castle was taken just before I got on the bus. The other one was uploaded accidentally. It's the sky over Bellshill last Friday.

From The Diamond Sutra:

"Subhuti, does a venerable One who will never more be reborn as a mortal say to himself, 'I am entitled to the honor and rewards of a Non-returner.'?"

"No, Perfectly Enlightened One. A 'Non-returner' is merely a name. There is actually no one returning and no one not-returning."

"Tell me, Subhuti. Does a Buddha say to himself, 'I have obtained Perfect Enlightenment.'?"

"No, lord. There is no such thing as Perfect Enlightenment to obtain. If a Perfectly Enlightened Buddha were to say to himself, 'I am enlightened' he would be admitting there is an individual person, a separate self and personality, and would therefore not be a Perfectly Enlightened Buddha."


None of the juju masters ever say they are enlightened. I wonder if it's maybe hopefully because of the Diamond Sutra, but maybe not.

7 comments:

Marie Rex said...

It is my understanding that to claim to be enlightened is a sign that you have no hope of ever being so in this lifetime.

To be separate and ego centered enough to make such a claim means you don't understand what you are working for.

The bus bliss sounds good. I've managed to get my practice back on track. I've posted the Seven Branch Prayer to read frequently to remind myself that service is what is important. Not who does it or why. Just that the work is done.

I love the tree and the castle pic.

Hotboy said...

Marie! I find this whole declarations of attainment thing a wee bit difficult. My root guru says he isn't enlightened and while I can understand why he says that, I'd like to get some kind of progress report. Like, how far on are some of these people. I think they should wear badges. On the other hand, you wouldn't believe what the badges mean! Bit of a catch 22. I'm on holiday again from noon today and ... lots of practise coming up!! Hotboy p.s. Your service idea is very good. I'm not very good at that stuff!

rob said...

Twice I've lost a brilliant comment here.

rob said...

On the one hand, it's progress if you can give up kneeing the other passengers in the back. On the other hand, you may need to find new ways to start a fight.

Hotboy said...

Albert? My lower back went a bit dodgy yesterday. Thought I'd let you know just to cheer you up!! Hotboy

rob said...

I never knew Bellshill was so beautiful. You must wish you still lived there.

Thanks for the news about your back, but schadenfreude's not my thing. Try onan, he's half Prussian.

But it might help you to know my own back went mildly dodgy last night. Sitting in anti-ergonomic chairs at the deifheids place. Designer furniture! Some people are just too dumb to furnicate.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I'm surprised Bellshill isn't chock a block with tourists all the time. Shangrala, I'm telling you! Hotboy