Wednesday 5 November 2008

Obama

Monday 9:30 a.m.
I just had to mark the day!! The Civil Rights Movement was the first real experience of the USA I can remember watching on the news when I was a teenager. I think the satellite coverage was new then. You have to be my age or older to remember George Wallace trying to stop the black kids getting into school. Who would have believed then that in forty years there would be an Afro-American in the White House? Despite everything else, this says a lot for the American political system and the Democratic Party. If it wasn't going to be an Afro-American, it would have been a woman. This is a great day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the first time in years, I'm not ashamed to say I'm also American.

I remember seeing Rosa Parks and Dr King, Jr on TV and thinking that it was sad that they couldn't be treated liked everyone else.

It is nice to know that sometimes democracy really works.

Hotboy said...

Marie: My reply comment had failed to register. Oh, well! When all the Tories MPs disappeared from Scotland, I felt something the same! Hotboy p.s. But the boy is a star!

Hotboy said...

Albert? So we are! Hotboy