Sunday 2 November 2008

Hunger!

Sunday 9:24 p.m.
Most of yesterday was wasted. I couldn't watch Hunger, the movie I went to with the kiddo. It was full of flatheids being rotten to each other, but I did open my eyes and pay attention to the twenty minute scene with Bobby Sands and the priest. Brilliantly, brilliantly acted.

After the movie, I was talking to the kiddo and had to abruptly leave due to welling up. That hasn't happened before. But I went a walk round the block. As I walked, I was not playing a flute!

There's someone who perseveres with this bloggy and lives in Belgium. Diane, you're just not going to understand the flute reference!

I was bothered by the strength of commitment and the lack of bliss. I keep going on about going into solitary confinement. I know it would be hard, but for someone like me ... well, it would be worth it!

I was bothered by the strength of commitment. I'm not trying hard enough. I know we are supposed to be looking for the middle way, and that the buddha wasn't into severe asceticism, but Milarepa ... Milarepa...

Why don't the folk in solitary confinement get the bliss, Jack? Why does moi get the bliss and I don't know anyone else who gets it? There are wonderful descriptions in Alexander Berkman's book, The Prison Memoirs of an Anarchist, about the screaming of prisoners going mad in solitary confinement, the night time horrorshow.

Well, Hotboy, you have the method. These flatheids, even if they know the method, do not employ it. You also have some understanding of the wisdom and even although you have not realised it, you know what it is. So, it's okay for me, Jack. Yes, it's okay for you, Hotboy. Just remember that you are not guaranteed the time and you could be dead tomorrow. You cannot help the stupid flatheids in your current state. Find a way to do a longer retreat.

The lama asked the seventeenth Karmapa, who was a kid then, if he could go back, please, into solitary retreat. The Karmapa told him he had to stay put and help his brother. Just remember it's not all about moi, Hotboy!It's not all about moi!

5 comments:

rob said...

I saw a clip from the 20-minute scene on TV here, but without subtitles the sound was indecipherable.

Have you never welled up before, or just not after a film? It would help to know. Doctor Robert says if they were blissing in solitary, that might explain your reaction. The relief, comradeship and vindication of realising you're not alone.

And I think I understand the trouser flute reference. I've heard screen violence affects some people that way.

Anonymous said...

My auld granny used to say "Grow where you are planted."

I always feel that I end up where I am the most needed. Even if I don't understand the reasons.

To deal with being solitary you need to be comfortable being alone. No matter what you are doing.

I expect many people don't know how to quiet the noise in their heads so without the constant distractions of their computers, TV sets, iPods, cell phones, they have to face themselves.

Perhaps then their eye turns inward, they may die of what they see there.

I always wanted to work in a fire tower. High on the hill all alone.

But there is a big difference in being alone and being lonely.

Hotboy said...

Albert? No just after seeing a film like that, especially one I hadn't watched!Hotboy
Marie: The fire tower idea is a good one! I Oz you can get a job sitting up a gum tree! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

For some reason this news piece made me think of you....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7701980.stm

Hotboy said...

Marie! What an odd idea to mix boxing and chess! Hotboy p.s. I can play chess, but I am lousy at it!