Friday 19 December 2008

The Bad Habits!

Friday 10:47 p.m.
Whilst sampling the new home brew ... cut down on the sugar from the last one, but still a potent brew. Now on my third bottle. Oh well!

Not so much at the moment, but the bad habits make various kinds of thoughts arise. Drunken thoughts, or stoned thoughts. We are not so interested in thoughts, are we, Jack? No, Hotboy, we are interested more in the bit between the thougts, or, at least, mental calming.

It said that Gampopa was at the stage where he only had one breath a day and had no need to sleep. Are we aspirational, or not? It is hard to see how you could get to that condition whilst cavorting with the flatheids. And indulging in your bad habits... by which you are characterised and by which your chummies know you. So, what is required is purification, if you are aspirational, if you'd like to take this juju seriously. Enlightenment in this very body is all that matters.

You just go mad for a bit. It always stabilises after a while. It's getting through that first bit. Always the tricky phase. If I could get every cell in my body to be bursting with the bliss and when I see flatheids, take a deep breath and roll my eyes to the top of my head, and wobble about and then fall down zonked by the bliss, then I may be able to give up bad habits. It's not good enough to be given the keys to the kingdom and not turn the lock.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bliss isn't going to change your bad habits. It can't cure them either.

If you honestly want change in your life, you will do what it takes to make it happen.

Or you will just keep making excuses. So you can do what you are doing.

Seems to me that you are standing with one foot on either side of the fence. Going for the best of both.

I hope the fence isn't barbed wire.

Hotboy said...

Sometimes I think I'm doing wonderfully well just how I am, but I know I can go further faster with a better lifestyle. Problem is that I can't afford to go on retreats at the moment. Then it wouldn't be a problem at all. Actually, it's not really a problem just now. I'd like to be perfect, that's all! Got to keep pushing.Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

I see that you gave up everything for at least one day. Well done!

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! See you in the cancer ward then? Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Do you really expect as an incarnated human to be perfect?

The idea isn't to hide from the world by living in retreat. But to learn to live in the world anyway.

Going on retreat doesn't help the bad habits unless you change your behavior.

You do realize that it is insane to expect better results from the same behaviors?

Anonymous said...

You already are perfect, complete, lacking nothing. You were perfect before you were born, and you'll be perfect after you die, and you were never born and will never die.

You don't actually find anything at Samye Ling; everything you love there is what you bring there with you.

Hotboy said...

Doggy! It takes some squinting to see the perfection in some folk! Hotboy

Hotboy said...

Marie: Retreats have been a big help to me. I advance on retreats! There are no bad habits on retreats and the view you get helps you later. Hotboy