Wednesday 15 October 2008

Allan Guthrie

Wednesday 11:11 p.m.
I met Allan Guthrie in May and I've just managed to finish Two-Way Split, his debut novel, just now, due to delays with the local library getting refurbished and whatnot. Well written, well plotted and set in Edinburgh! It's full of basturns and nutcases and all kind of folk who could do with meditating a bit. If you like crime books or thrillers, I'd totally recommend it. Nice match of style and subject matter.

I think he told me he'd had it rejected four hundred times before he got a new publishing business in the states to accept it. Dearie me. I gave up trying to get several books I wrote published after three or four rejections. The best books ever written are probably lying under folks' beds, so they are! I've got another two books by him here, but I'll have to return them to the library tomorrow since someone has put in request of them. So somebody's reading him anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

I can confirm that one of your unpublished masterpieces is, in fact, propping up a rather unstable wardrobe in our spare room.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! What! Other people have unpublished masterpieces. All my pieces have been eaten by mieces! I hate those miecese to pieces! Hotboy

rob said...

It's slightly ambiguous, where you say you've finally finished his debut novel. Are you writing it or reading it? If you're writing it, it's no wonder you haven't got time to write to 400 publishers. I find the best strategy is sticking to one thing and doing it well.

Happy to help.