Wednesday 6 January 2010

Start to the Day!

Wednesday 2:00 p.m.
Slept for a full ten hours last night!! That never happens.

I started getting up at six in the morning nearly twenty years ago now to meditate before going to work. At first, I used to do some of Mr Iyengar's sun salutations before sitting, but realised in this climate that's a good way to get into hospital before breakfast. Then I just sat.

When things are going well these days, I usually pause for a while flat on my back and get into the bliss by doing yoga nidra. Then I sit up for a bit before moving out of the bed. This is a good way to start the day!

Today because I wasn't going to the jobbie, blah de blah .... I got up and was going to go for a paper first off. So there's a pile of book tapes the Domestic Bliss asked me to return to Stockbridge library. I didn't want to go out twice today then so I took the tapes and went to the library first. Still baltic out there. And I'm a bit crabbit since ... well, I just am! Dodging the Bulgarian gangster who's selling the Big Issue outside Scotmid, I got down to the library. It's closed. So I'll have to go back later, I think. None to pleased by any of this now. Turning away, I thought the basturns must have a letter box and I turn back to stuff the book tapes into the opening. With the last one in, the flap clamped shut like a mousetrap and got the middle finger of my left hand. We're talking blood here. I'll definitely lose the nail. So I'm dripping blood in the chemist shop and get elastoplast. £2:50 the basturns charged me for a roll of elastoplast!! £2:50. Basturns!

When I finally started meditating at half eleven, it went like a dream really. Nearly two hours straight off. A terrific meditation. I should have done that first of all.

Why didn't you do that first of all then, Hotboy? Stupid basturn lying thoughts, Jack!! It's really hard not to believe anything you're thinking first thing in the day!

For the last half hour I've been trying to get connected to the computery thing in the living room so I can start working on my new blockbuster.

Actually, I don't read blockbusters. The Dom Bliss bought one yesterday. If I was going to write blockbusters, I should try reading one sometime. But is life not too short to start with that sensible malarkey now?

I still have heard nothing from the agent about the last blockbuster. The only person who's got back to me about it is some old guy who likes nothing better than reading computer manuals. The folk who read most popular fiction are women of about thirty, I believe. So I can discount the first reaction. But if you're one of the women I sent this book to and you don't like it, don't tell me about it, please. Just keep mum.

I've been reading Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. In three months I've got jsut over half way through it. Really good bit of writing. I think the sensei and reverend must have recommended it to me. Pop 1920 by Jim Thompson, also recommended by the sensei and reverend, was superb. Maybe the answer is just to write really well, but that takes a lot more time than I have right now. Even writing crap takes too much time. Anyway, I'm going to read what I've got of the new blockbuster now with a certain amount of despair in my heart. In an hour and a half I'll start meditating again. Hurrah!

2 comments:

rob said...

If you lived in the US or even Oz, you could see a lawyer and then retire on the compensation. What a shame you live in a country where common sense prevails.

rob said...

Re "just to write really well" and " even writing crap takes too much time" - what about writing less and writing better? You could end up saving time and yet creating a million-selling haiku.

I might do that myself after the pension fund liquidation.