Monday 11 January 2010

In Haste!

Monday 7:40 p.m.
Brian Wilson got an extract of The Buddha and the BBW published by a magazine called Instant in 2000. It didn't do any harm. I didn't get any money. Brian Wilson and I got invited to a magazine relaunch on the back of this extract and we got a few free drinks, and had quite a nice time as I recall.I'd forgotten all about that until right now.

After checking out Fargo Publishing this evening, this might be much the same kind of a thing. The guy behind the venture seems to be trying to organise a writing scene in Glasgow and that's very positive. People need to do stuff like that or nothing ever happens. Tom McGrath would have approved. When Kevin Williamson was doing his thing here in Edinburgh, there were events. It was fun. Irvine Welsh got launched on the back of a piece in the magazine Kevin Williamson launched, Rebel Inc.

Last night I'd had four bottles of Erdinger when I got the phone call from my friend who got the email from the folk in Glasgow. Nice of him to like the book enough to send email it to anyone. Nice that two folk on the other end seemed to like it. I think I was somewhat over-enthused by the Erdinger or I wouldn't have put in the last post. If I ever see paper between covers, I'll be surprised. But one never knows. Chatting to the boy from Instant with Brian Wilson was a good laugh. As long as you don't expect anything, there's no harm done! I've just looked a the piece in the Instant magazine. Quite liked it!!

9 comments:

rob said...

Good motto - As long as you don't expect anything, there's no harm done.

Not sure you drink enough to be the new Irvine Welsh.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I don't think Irvine Welsh drank all that much. You'd have to ask the sensei. He used to drink with him. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

Brian Wilson told me that when you met the chap from Instant, you started drinking at 9am and didn't stop until much later. Is that true?

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! That is a scurrilous lie! I was inveigled into meeting someone in a cafe and then it turned out to be licensed. And free drinks was forced on me, but it wasn't nine in the morning. More like half ten or something. I was then taken on a tour of other cafes, which amazingly also turned out to be licensed. It's just that I get embarrassed when folk start telling me what a fantastic writing talent I have and and needed something to cover my shyness. I only get drunk on such occasions because these joes never have any decent drugs on them! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

Have they sent a cheque yet? If so, have you spent it all yet?

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! That's been the story of moi's life! All drinkies and no chequies. When was it not always thus? Hotboy

rob said...

Albert sent me a review of his Sydney gig, where he was allegedly incoherent. They assumed he was blootered, but it may just have been the accent. Some people just assume all writers are pissheids.

Hotboy said...

Albert? I have no idea what you are going on about. Have you been at the beer with beer in it again?

rob said...

I was responding to your "Albert? I don't think Irvine Welsh drank all that much." Are the memory holes Alzheimers or veggie BSE?

The beer with beer is a good idea though. I'll let you know how it goes.