Sunday 24 August 2008

The tatties!

Sunday 6:35 p.m.
I harvested all the tatties that were growing up one side of the allotment today. I've been getting about a supermarket plastic bag full of tatties for every row; maybe about forty good tatties in a row. There were originally nineteen or twenty rows, if I remember right. Anyway, today I constructed something called a clamp. The tatties are in layers between sheets of newspaper (which is supposed to be straw, I think) with a layer of dirt packed over it. It'll never work, of course, but the rats should like it! Never had such a good potato crop.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say!

Doviko sometimes cuts the potatoes up into fairly small chunks, fries them, with onions, cumin and coriander - nothing beats them.

MM III

onan the bavarian said...

I can recommend my uncle's special fertiliser.

A clamp photo would help.

Mingers - sounds like Teviot Row Union stovies. Perhaps Doviko picked up the recipe there.

Hotboy said...

Mingin' and Onan! It's almost all going into the soup, with some going to the auld maw. Foxes dug at the clamp, but I covered it over again. Curious buggers, they didn't eat any of the tatties! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

Well done on your garden. Mine is being beaten to death in the wind.

But the chili pepper I have inside are doing well. Of course they are too hot to eat.

I'm doing a lot of Halloween sewing. The only holiday I put much effort into.

rob said...

My guess is the fox was after the rats.

Hotboy said...

Marie: Someone has asked us to go to Skye next July. We used to holiday there a lot. Be nice to go back. Have fun splashing about in the puddles!

Hotboy said...

Albert? I thought it was a bit odd. A fox should be able to smell the tatties. Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

If you catch a rat, Kha'bahje (previously Cabbage) is interested.

I fully expect this comment to not appear, as Blogger is having an off day.

MM III

Anonymous said...

I say!

Are they Kerr's Pinks?

MM III

rob said...

Mingers - if they were pink, they were probably still babies.

Hotboy said...

Mingin' and Albert? Kerr pinks and others! Hotboy