Thursday 21 August 2008

Retreat! Retreat!

Thursday 1:50 p.m.
Edinburgh has had three times the normal rainfall for August and it's not even the end of August yet. I managed to get up to the allotment between showers yesterday to collect soup supplies, but other than that I haven't really been out much for the last couple of days.

Be nice to go for a run this afternoon if the rain stays off. I'm getting retreatitis. Maybe I could go out and stare into shop windows.

I was only back from the Samye Ling on Saturday for a couple of hours before I was whisked down to Porty to party with the completely lost the plot, what a waste of space, irredeemably bourgeois basturns. There were no young women there that I could see. Next morning, the Domestic Bliss left for a week's holiday somewhere in the middle of nowhere land (the Midlands of Engerland) and left me here on my ownio.

The biography of Milarepa, the fount of this juju from the Tibetan side, is obviously one of the great works of world literature. It was written by one of his disciples. His mum is fabulous. When Milarepa uses black magic to kill 35 of her enemies, folk from the neighbourhood, she rushes out with victory banners flying and marches up and down the road, shouting something like: Get it right up yous, you vonny rotten basturns! Mess with my family and yous will all get it! The whole lot of yous, you horrible basturns that you are!

Of course, there are some improbabilities about Milarepa's story, like him controlling hailstorms, killing folk with black magic, etc. However, one of the most improbable things is that anyone could raise inner heat, the tummo, and thus, as a side effect, be able to prevail against the brass monkey Himalyan weather.

If you could stop it raining, that would be quite good, Hotboy. They're all going to be sorry, Jack! All those people who put me down. I remember seeing this teevee show where the sadhu left the charnel grounds when he might have garnered some siddhis, but had still a false sense of self. This is a sure road to hell and damnation said the boy's guru because he was bound to use his siddhis from selfish ends. Hmmmm?

Fortunately, in the Disbelieving Congregation we do not believe in such things as hell and damnation, so they're all going to get it, Jack! The whole lot of them. Hailstones the size of basketballs!!

I'm going back into the lobby now. The meditations continue to progress.

8 comments:

ion said...

Though intentions are good, I have not made progress with Alexandra Davidson-Neel's books yet. The introduction to 'Journey to Lhasa' is wonderful, so this can only be my fault.

Actually, I'm not reading bloody anything at the moment (even my 'Chat' magazines) because my vision is so poor.

The new specs should arrive next week, which may help. £400 (but they'll let me pay it up monthly on tick), and £300 of that on the complex lenses. My mum's genes, or the over-enthusiastic eye surgeons, have a lot to answer for.

But how are the allotment ingons and tatties doing?

Hotboy said...

I can't read anything either.Haven't got the attention span. I'm embarassed by waste. Tatties everywhere. I will have to build a 'clamp' for the tatties; a huge pyramid covered in earth. Sit beside it with my shotgun.Hotboy ps new specs stopped me becoming totally illiterate. They should help.

rob said...

This Milarepa thing sounds like a Tibetan re-tread of Castaneda's Don Juan. Been there, bought the poncho.

PS make up your mind - either you can read or you can't, in which case you're making up the Milarepa stuff.

Wait! Now I think I get it! Suddenly it all makes sense. It's in code, via anagrams:

Ripe Lama (but ripe for what?)

Ample Air (presumably hot)

I Palm Ear (with noise blockers of course)

Aim Re Alp (your blissing is aiming high)

Male Pair (no explanation necessary)

I Ramp Ale (if only you could, it would save carrying the bottles up 3 flights of stairs)

Email Rap (actually it's a post, not an email)

Lame Pair (need I say more?)

A Lame R.I.P. (presumably the Milarepa guy didn't achieve mortality)

Re: I'm A Pal (happy to help)

rob said...

PS - it was so cold here that I made some bliss soup. I can see why you use it, and it's even better after a few days in the pot.

rob said...

Hotters! I think someone's using your password to masquerade as you. That comment wasn't enlightened enough to have been you. I would suspect someone overdosed on olympics. Is cricket an event?

PS for the record, it was my dear friend Dazzle who was into Don Juan, along with the Om stuff. And look how he ended up. Just don't do it, that would help.

Hotboy said...

Albert? People have been masquerading as me for ages. Believe bugger all! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

Sadly, cricket is not an event at the olympics. Shurely a mishtake?

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Can't be a sport then, eh? Knew it! Hotboy