Monday 11 August 2008

The |Samye Ling Day 1

Monday 8:42 a.m.
My bed felt wonderfully soft, cozy, warm this morning, and it is with some backward glances that I set off for the Samye Ling at the start of my last week of holidays. Except I haven't gone yet. And it's a nice day. I could just go up to the hut. Hmmmm? Oh well. Once more into the breach, dear friends!

8:25 p.m.
The clouds opened while I was wrestling with the tent, but that's the first time I've ever put it up when it was raining, so I can't complain. The wee island I sat on to meditate up the river a bit has disappeared; the river is in spate, so they must have had some right rotten weather here recently. No change there then.

I took a Guru Rinpoche empowerment this afternoon. The temple was full and there must have been three hundred people there for this event. Most of them seemed to know the Tibetan chants. That's about four empowerments I've had from Dr Akong: Dorje Sempa, Chenrezig, Guru Rinpoche and the Medicine Buddha. I couldn't find a seat in the refrectory for lunch; it was so busy. Apparently, most folk were only here for the empowerment and have buggered off already. I thought the numbers were quite impressive though.

I got an email from Isabel Atherton about the sensei's crime book. Nice, considered response. So a good agent to sent a crime novel to. Unfortunately, she doesn't want to represent the book, so I'll have to keep on trying when I get back to work.

Dr Akong went on at some length about giving up tobacco. So stupid to get sucked back in when I've been addiction free for five years or so. It's giving in to temptation and knowing so many dope smokers. If I get back to Edinburgh on Saturday, I'm going out to a party. Hmmm? No problems with no nicotine today. Nice not to be as addicted as more than half of my deep dear friends. Still ... just say no, eh, Jack?

No comments: