Thursday 14 August 2008

2nd Last Day

Thursday 9:17 a.m.
This retreat has been harder for me than usual. Not too sure why, but whenever I'm tired, I keep thinking I could just go home. Maybe it's that this is the last week before I go back to the jobbie. Maybe I'm just a bit more into self pity this week.

Just when I was thinking that I hadn't had a conversation with anyone since I got here ... I had a conversation before I came in here. "Dorje, what's with the cat?" I said. If you shouted Dorje around here, half the joes would turn round.

I had two prime meditation experiences yesterday, but I can't remember what one of them was!! This is not unusual. Besides that, it's hard to lay down memories here since everything is always much the same. Except when the sun shines. You tend to remember that.

Reading the book yesterday about the vajrayana meditations .... when will I ever get near that! Also, the boy at the end of the book goes on about Zen. I know bugger all about Zen. I know even less about Zen than I do about Tibetan buddhism. Apparently, some Zen teachers refuse to teach anyone. Brilliant. Why talk to the UFOs. Waste of bloody time! You're either going to meditate or you're not. Also, hitting them with a big stick would be good fun. Anyone speaks to you about the juju and you just hit them with a big stick. I think I'm a convert. But I don't get the archery bit. I read the famous German book about that once and didn't understand it at all. I think I'll have another go when I get home.

I'm tired today. I was tired last night. I wanted to hammer the heat last night, but was exhausted. Then I didn't sleep for a while. Bugger it. Another two and a half hours with the lama just coming up!!!

11:54 a.m.
What a wonderful, wonderful sesssion that was! Time flew. The bits when you are feeling kind of weightless and totally expanded and almost about to float away are really very nice indeed! I haven't wasted this holiday, no sirree!

I might buy another book. Daniel Odier gives a list of the hatha yoga exercises Naropa recommends, thus cutting down to the essentials for doing this juju anyway. Here's number 5:
"Leap into the air, cross the legs in the lotus position and fall back into position, ready for meditation. Then raise yourself up by a series of leaps. Each leap has to be accomplished by a rapid twist of the chest. The nervous knots in the whole body will then be undone." I bet they would! Anybody ever seen anyone being able to do that?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hard retreats are the good ones. They teach us about compassionate detachment. If there doesn't come a point during a retreat when we just want to leave, it's not really a retreat, just a holiday.

That stick is called a kyosaku, or sometimes a kesaku. I've got one, so come on over here and I'll give you a few whacks.

Dogo

Hotboy said...

Doggy! That made me laugh! I'm on my last day here and I'll be sorry to go back to the UFOs! Hotboy

rob said...

If being hit with a stick made you wise, thanks to the old man I'd already be a Rinpoche or whatever you call your archbishops. What a pity they didn't bash you when you were young! That would have helped.

Hotboy said...

Albert? There's sticks and there's sticks. Trust you to get the wrong end of the stick!If you'd just emanate as a deity, the sticks would go right through you, so they would. Being made of light and all! Hope this helps. Hotboy

rob said...

I've just spent the last wee while emanating, not as a deity though. Or maybe it was ejaculating. And you're right, there was a stick involved.