Tuesday 5 May 2009

Tom McGrath

Monday.
I found out Tom McGrath had passed away from reading the sensei's blog a couple of days ago. I just have to say something about Tom McGrath because he did me an enormous favour once.

My radio producer had given him a look at Clocked Out, a radio script, and he wanted to see me. He had some kind of job with the SAC at the Lyceum. Just right then I was up shit creek having just heard that I was going to become a daddy and was watching my so-called writing career seemingly going down the toilet. I thought I needed some money so I could give up the jobbie and look after the kiddo anyway. I had four grand coming in from the radio and others, but I needed another three to swing it. So when I saw Tom, he said he'd get it for me from the Scottish Arts Council and refereed a writer's award for me. This was a giant help at the time.

You don't forget stuff like that.

I only spoke with him a couple of times afterwards. I'm not at all good with the well known. The last time I saw him in public was in the Traverse Theatre after his last production there and I could see his health wasn't great. He was recovering from a stroke. So I'm glad I sent him a card then thanking him again for the help he'd given me.

Tom McGrath was quite a national treasure. I doesn't really matter what his writing was like. He was an exceptionally nice man. I asked his partner, Ella, how he was keeping once before he had the stroke and she said he was doing fine considering the life he'd led. Quite a guy!

4 comments:

onan the bavarian said...

Do people really pay other people four grand for just writing stuff? Dearie me!

Reading between the lines you yourself wouldn't pay money for Tom G's actual writing, but I did. I went to see his trilogy at the Trav, I think it was about oil or Europe or some othetr issue of the day. Loved the performance, but maybe Gregor Fisher had something to do with that.

Talking about meeting famous people, I met Gregor Fisher at Johnny Monaghan's party, long before he was Rab C, in fact he may not even have been Gregor Fisher yet.

Hope this helps.

albert said...

May I suggest a sweepstake amongst the regular visitors here (which seems to be just me for now)? The bet is which of us is going to die first. With an optional side bet on the cause of death.

I'm backing Onan from a stroke.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Onan is too thin to have a stroke. Also, people who think they're dying all the time are bound to outlive us normal folk. Also, I really dislike meeting famous people. I also dislike meeting drop dead gorgeous people, but I like meeting them more than I like meeting famous people. Famous people are stigmatised! Hotboy
p.s. Since I think about dying several times a day, I'll probably live till I'm 84. That's the best age to die at.

rob said...

"I found out Tom McGrath had passed away from reading the sensei's blog"

If the sensei can kill people with a post, why does he need a bulldog 44?