Wednesday 6 May 2009

This Modern World!

Wednesday 12:15 p.m.
I've spent the last hour trying to get a wireless connection set up for this computery thing. Got to the last sentence. No profile, click on the manual with the CD. Nothing.

I was told by my maths teacher once that I should enjoy solving problems. I have never enjoyed solving problems. I could solve problems, but I didn't like doing it at all. Now that I am into positivity, I think it would be wonderful thing if these computery things all just disappeared. If we hadn't these computery things, would be be in a world wide slump at the moment? I would happily go back to radio 4 and reading books and writing books in longhand if necessary.

We're not supposed to have a dial up connection anymore. I don't know why this is still working. I expect it to stop. This will not be anything like as bad as the nuclear winter.

Last night I finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It doesn't have any chapters or proper paragraphs and some dodgy spelling and punctuation, but it is a wonderful piece of writing about the nuclear winter and people eating each other. I would not recommend it except to folk who like brilliant writing and don't mind reading about the spanking the flatheids are going to get during the nuclear winter which will surely happen sometime.

I went to hear Ringu Tulku speaking about the Four Foundations last night. You close you eyes and are straight into the bliss. You've got bliss and light. This is almost the default position these days, Jack. Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah! Then you can be in the bliss and concentrate on the words. I'm sorry the unfortunate ones cannot do this, but that's not my fault.

He was mentioning dependant arising, interdependence and what not, then said if you really penetrated impermanence there was no dying. He maybe stumbled a wee bit there over this choice of words since he was the only tulku in the room. I think I understood what he meant and got a little intimation of it for a second or two. These little intimations are sometimes very nice.

He finished with a brilliant description of the tonglen method.

Compassion and altruism, loving kindness, bliss and joy, heat and healing .... these are in the lobby. You do not get these out of the computery thing.

2 comments:

albert said...

About the wireless router. Call the duty hut manager.

You could be right re the digital world and the GFC.

The Road. I noticed the strange spelling too. Though "windrow" is actually a word. My edition seems to have paragraphs, though I wouldn't know if they're proper or not. My only gripe is the sometimes flowery or quaint olde worlde language that passes for learned in America.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Nothing's perfect in this perfect world! Hotboy