Thursday 29 January 2009

This Modern World!

Thursday 4:35 p.m.
" Diogenes often visited the famous prostitute Lais, and said that the difference between what costs money and what does not cost anything one can see at the nearest brothel.

There are many anectodes about this man, who laughed at aristocrats and is said to have walked around Corinth with a lit lamp in daytime, looking for "a human being". The most famous one is the one about his meeting with Alexander the Great. When Alexander asked the cynic, who lived in a barrel (actually, it was a huge clay jar), what he could do for him, Diogenes replied that he could step out of his sunlight, something which greatly impressed the king, who said "truly, were I not Alexander I would have wished to be Diogenes". "

I wonder what he'd have said to Alexander if he'd given him a mobile phone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like people NOT to stand in my sunlight either.

I see nothing unreasonable about that request.

I suspect he might have taught it to swim. Had he been give one.

Hotboy said...

Marie! My comment to your comment has disappeared. Never a good sign. Hotboy

Heather said...

Didn't he wander around Greece looking for an honest person. Would be hard to find, what with all those stories of gorgons and hydras...

Hotboy said...

Heather! No vagrancy laws then? Hotboy

rob said...

Everything balances up. Over here where you can fry in minutes, it is customary to ask people to please stand in one's sunlight.

Anonymous said...

In the interests of decency I wish to lodge a request that you remove the comment referring to hydras, which as you well know are unashamedly hermaphrodite organisms.