Tuesday 18 August 2009

Vase Breathing Update

Tuesday
I think I started meditating when I was about thirty three, but I'm not dead sure. About then. Before that, I was a complete flatheid and I'm glad over twenty five years have passed since my head was in that woeful condition!


Anyway, for the first decade or so all I did was straightforward calming meditations. This involved repeating my mantra (Susquehanna)to myself and trying to focus on that sound to the exclusion of everything else. I taught myself to do that and had no idea what analytical meditations were. For a while, I wondered how these could be meditations at all since they involved "thinking" about such concepts as an individual self.


Calming meditations didn't seem to be making such a big difference to my non-meditation times, so I thought these analytical meditations might be worth trying since that's what they are supposed to help with eventually: afflictive emotions.


I first heard about vase breathing from The Bliss of Inner Fire, which I read about seven or eight years ago. I'd done some pranayamas before this, but not much.

I had an inner heat experience with a hot navel symbol (very vague symbol!) on April 6th, 2003, about four months after taking refuge with Lama Yeshe. But it wasn't till a year later that I found the connection between the after-effects of vase breathing and the bliss. There has to be some connection being made here, or re-inforced, between the air you breathe and the "envelope" the bliss seems to be occuring in.

The great yajrayana, the juju of jujus, involves visualisations of course, and this is a different kind of thing from calming or analytical meditations though it has to be said that if you can't develope the calm mind, you might be unable to do bugger all else!

Once you have envisioned yourself as a tantric sex god ... sorry, the Medicine Buddha ...you go on to the completion stage of the great juju and that seems to involve and awful lot of vase breathing.

These days it's only when I'm meditating with other folk that I don't do vase breathing as well as everything else.

At first, you might be resistant to it since it doesn't seem to be meditating at all. The after effects can create great disurbances which do not seem to be anything like what you're looking for from calming meditations. Fortunately, the disturbances seem to develope into more and more amazing feeling of bliss; great pulsings of bliss and joy and such like; and you might tend to stick with it due to the amazing wonderfulness of it and the fact that it seems to develope, or it seems to be developing you.

Of course, I've only found out stuff about vase breathing from practising it myself. I wish I could read a post by someone who's had tuition on this. Perhaps things with me have been working out at the pace they should be, but I suspect that moi would have been further forward if moi had hammered into the vase breathing more. But I might have been doing it as much as I could. Right now, I wish I'd done more of it.

I won't try to describe how wonderful the effects of vase breathing are. They are going to get a lot more wonderful anyway, that's for sure! I've been throwing in a few while writing this at the jobbie.

I wrote an email to my secret agent today and asked about the McCoy book and told him I was re-writing xxxBomber as of tomorrow. Being on holiday makes you realise what a bummer having gainful employment is! I'd really like to go back to my own planet now, please!

Oh yes! I think the navel symbol might be getting, or starting very slightly, to get hot. That's interesting. There's no navel chakra symbol there till your try rather ineffectually to put it there, and then it starts to get hot. Bizarre.

3 comments:

albert said...

I say! I've made a mental note to take up blissology if I'm ever unfortunate enough to suffer any afflictive emotions, e.g if I run out of green and yellows. It might help.

Hotboy said...

Who? Hotboy

rob said...

Whom?