Tuesday 23 September 2008

Relics

Wednesday 7:31 a.m.
I'm not the only nutter around here. Yesterday I checked out Mary Queen of Scots blog and found this. So pleased that someone else has had an inner heat experience! Gone yoursel', as they say!

On the Lama Yeshe CD that me and the auld maw have been listening to recently, he mentions crystal relics. I don't think I'd heard of them before. Of course, you hear about something once and suddenly it's all over the place. I was googling about relics yesterday when I came across Geshe Lama Konchog, who seems to have done his Milarepa thing and lived in the mountains for years without much sustenance.

Of course, people like me would die if we tried any of this malarkey, but yesterday I also read an account of a nun who did a chu-len retreat of 21 days and she was living off these essence pills.

Reading about stuff like this is a great inspiration to me, Jack. You've got to remember that it's not all bliss and realisations, Hotboy. It takes a huge effort to get over yourself, and much suffering would have to be endured, especially in the initial stages. Hmmmm?

Geshe Lama Konchog was living in Kopan monastery when I visited it circa 1996 and one of the very few regrets I have in life is that I didn't stay there when a venerable old monk asked me to. I don't know who he was, but he really had something!I told him I'd be back and I'll have to do that one day. The encounter is mentioned, if I remember right, in The Buddha and the BBW which you can find by googling Alison Main's Writings.

Anyway, I'm on strike today. Hurrah! Free beer for the workers! I've got five full days before I have to go back to the jobbie and I'm feeling very happy just now. To the hut! To the hut! To the hut!

1:20 p.m.
The page with the nun's experiences on the pill are here. Managed nearly four hours before one o clock. This is going to be a great few days!!

6:00 p.m.
I donnered down to the library this afternoon to chase up requests for Allan Guthrie's books. It was shut. The buggers were on strike!

One side of my hut is coming away a bit at the bottom. A rat visited me this afternoon, coming in through the gap. I told it to beat it and clapped my hands, but it just kind of sauntered away like it owned the joint.

"A dead rat! Ah, what company that would be!" Samuel Beckett from the novel Company. I did not put that on my wall.

10:20 p.m.
Ate two slices of toast today with banana, and the rest was all soup. I'll sit up tonight and meditate for as long as I can. Then off to bed, sober and straight! Allah Akbar!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mind being a nutter. I will admit it is nice to experience something and know someone else understands what I'm talking about.

I think I will spend the rest of my life here learning to get out of my own way and just let things be as they are.

I don't think I could do the sitting around in caves thing. I am too much a creature of comforts.

We are all on the same journey to death, we just each take a different path.

Hotboy said...

Marie! Better being a nutter than a flatheid any day of the week! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say!

That's all very well, but what about the Bogd Khan?

MM III

Anonymous said...

I say!

I see that you're down for a paper on "The effects of premature nappy training on bloggers in the Scottish diaspora" at Duneditin 2009.

Can't wait to hear that one.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Is Boggy Cant a creekiter? Or is it more of the aftershocks from the calvinist toilet training? Dearie me! Hotboy

Currently Alec McClochendichter said...

I wish I could help you with your conference paper, but as a genetic bavarian I was born already toilet trained.