Tuesday 15 September 2009

Let the Meditations Commence!


Tuesday 10:25 p.m.
I found the diary entry going on about the start of meditating. Here it is.

Sunday 24th September, 1985 - 5:45 p.m. approx.
I've been transcending, man! I've been interested in meditation for a while, but wouldn't pay the £50 for the cosmic word. But I got a book by a TM acolyte and it told you to go to the centre and pay £50. Anyway, I decided Susquehanna was a good word and started trying to meditate last weekend. I'm sure the first time I got off on something, maybe just sitting there for twenty minutes with your eyes shut will do your head in, but I enjoyed it....
... Maybe by auto-suggestion, I was quickly feeling more calm. Hopeful about it, I was. Trying to do it at work, etc. But it's been less joyful over the past few days. But I'll stick with it.

Whilst looking for that, I found this.

Thursday June 4th, 1987 - 9.p.m.
... Saw P. on Saturday and the Lou was stronger than I expected, so I didn't sleep on Saturday night, and not much on Sunday night. Monday I finished it off at work. Robert and his fiance Jane was here when I got home from work with two dirty books under my arm. Robert was here on Friday for a couple of hours with D.. Weird. Robert told us about his cancer operation. Had a saliva gland cut out two years ago, and some nerves. So he speaks slightly oddly because the sensation has gone from the side of his tongue and mouth. Fortunately, it's not enough to notice. Anyway, Robert is lecturing in computers at Glasgow University and doing well.

I recall speaking to Robert and hearing about this cancer on the phone, so we met up because obviously the clock was ticking. I remember telling D. about meditation and how brilliant it was. He seemed depressed and I'd never seen him looking depressed before. I think his jobbie was doing his head in. He said he couldn't see the point of meditating. That was the last time I saw D. Two years later Robert sent me a letter when I was in Australia saying he'd died of lung cancer. I remember him trying to give up the fags when he stayed in Watson Crescent in 1973. Dearie, dearie me!!

Anyway, it looks like I started meditating 24 years ago!!

The diaries around this time point to quite an exciting life!! All this talk about getting stuff published and the BBC giving me money, etc. Like snow off a dyke, Jack. Snow off a dyke.

3 comments:

onan the bavarian said...

That poor guy Robert, with the clock ticking, reminds me of one of the people here.

The 1980s sound quite eventful, I almost wish I'd been alive then.

Hotboy said...

Albert? Some folk are just drama queens! They're always fung dying! Takes them till they're about ninety before they really get the hang of it. Hotboy

albert said...

"Two years later Robert sent me a letter when I was in Australia saying he'd died of lung cancer" - was he writing from the other side?

"I got home from work with two dirty books under my arm" - gardening manuals perhaps?