Tuesday 22 July 2008

New Beginnings

Friday 25th July, 2008. 22:40 p.m.
In the three days since I got back from the Samye Ling, it seems apparent that the week I spent down there meditating has moved my ability to perform deity yoga on a good bit. I have a blogging conference coming up this Saturday, but after that I'm definitely giving everything up and winging my way towards even more bliss, heat and ecstasy than usual.

I've just tried and failed miserably to attach a statscounter thingy to this blog, despite having no problems at all doing this in the previous two blogs I've written. Is this a sign of mental deterioration? Probably!

I spent a couple of hours this morning up the allotment. I think we've had this allotment now for about 12 years, and the plants have grown better this year than at any other time. This has nothing to do with me. The earth has become more fertile round these parts, probably due to ... who knows? But there's never been a potato crop like it!

I was digging over what had been two beds of onions this morning and trying to work out why digging is so tiring. Basically, every spadeful involves a minor knee bend, coming up with some weight on the end of the spade. Forget the arms. If you just think of the legs, after I'd finished digging this very small part of the sweet earth, I'd done about 300 minor knee bends. 49 proper knee bends, as I know from the Tai Chi, is enough knee bends for anyone. So, I'm standing there with the sweat running over the front of my glasses, and I still don't know why it is so exhausting. I mean, it's only a wee bit of ground I've been digging here.

Anyway, on Wednesday I had my first allotment dinner of the year. Boiled tatties, fried onions, fried eggs and two fried tomatoes. Delicious! It was enough to make me want to go out and buy a bottle of tomato ketchup, so it was!

Can I come out now? No, Jack. Wait for a bit. Then they'll never find us! Hurrah!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Alison,

I went out for two hours of kayak meditation today.

I hope you are having a good day.

Hotboy said...

Marie! My nephew has started rowing. Says it's very hard work! Is kayaking the same? It must be! You must have awful strong shoulders and arms! Hotboy

Anonymous said...

I say old chap - why the need for a new home?

Is this blog going to be about knee pains caused by digging, or the great and very ancient game of cricket? Which is it to be? We should be told.

MM III

Hotboy said...

Mingin'! Probably just the same old, same old. Alison

onan the bavarian said...

Hotters! On a point of information - kayaking is unlike rowing. Kayaking is balanced, you exercise on one side then the other. Rowing you pull like b#ggery then rest, it's full on or nothing, not balanced. That's why people do their backs in rowing.

Will you be walking to the conference?

Hotboy said...

Onan! I don't walk anywhere. Fancy you knowing about kayaking!! Hotboy

onan the bavarian said...

Astral projection then?

PS See your email.

Anonymous said...

Kayaking can be hard work if you are working against the wind. It does tend to be balanced because you alternate side to side. Can be hard on the wrist.

Don't know if I'm building up muscles. I'll never be a power lifter, but I've got a fair right cross. *grin*

Gardening can be good exercise. That is why there are some very fit granny's.

Glad your garden is producing well, mine is hanging on for dear life in the wind.